Lanes of Gladstone Street, Clonmel

MyClonmel >>> Old Lanes of Clonmel >>> Lanes of Gladstone Street

Lanes of Gladstone Street

Several lanes are now gone, but many are still in use, particularly elbow Lane and East Lane.

 

eastLane2

East Lane

Situated between Nos. 48 & 49, to the right of Mulcahys restaurant.

This lane was previously known as Shambles Lane, c. 1841. The town “shambles”, where animals were butchered, was located in the area behind this block of buildings. This lane is L-shaped, and also exits into Mitchel St.

featherbedLane

Featherbed Lane

This lane is located to the left of the Post Bar, site of the old Clonmel Post Office. It had been popularly known as “Post Office Lane”.

elbowLane

Elbow Lane

Situated at No. 46, to the right of Dr. Quirke’s surgery.

An L-shaped lane, also exiting into Market Street

Salmon Lane

Situated between Easons and Ss Peter & Pauls Church.

Minchins Lane

Minchins Lane is now gone. It was located where Specsavers is now located.

Minchins were  hardware & coal merchants, who operated from this lane over many generations

Share

Leave a Comment