Old Photos of Clonmel

Past – Present Clonmel >>>> Old Photos of Clonmel

Where was this building located, it was demolished in the 1950’s (to the best of my knowledge) ?

Do you think you know, leave your comment below?

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kieran Carroll March 8, 2018 at 1:33 pm

I am trying to make contact with Seamus Cantwell regarding an advanced cub scout wood badge course that he attended in August 1968. it was the first such course held by CBSI and the first time that women were officially allowed int the organisation. I would appreciate it if someone could get him to contact me as I have managed to contact some of the others that were on the course.

Kieran Carroll

2 Maureen Purcell March 9, 2018 at 2:26 am

Hi Kieran, I got a message from Michael from info@clonmelonline re you looking for Seamus Cantwell. He’s my brother and if you email me at the address above I will give you his telephone no. Regards Maureen , South Tipperary Art Group, STAG, Clonmel

3 Tony Fitzgerald June 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hi I was born just behind the brick house in St Stephens place now long gone, I remember going in to the house just before it was demolished it was empty by then

4 Joe August 7, 2013 at 6:59 pm

The Cantwells-Bobby and Mother-moved to Connolly Park in 1953 and were the first occupants of that house. Around this time the Brick House was demolished as part of the development of the junction at upper Irishtown. Cissie Cantwell had a number of interesting photographs of the Brick House.

5 Maureen Purcell March 31, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Hi cousin Tim, I think either our cousin Nollaig( Lonergan) put up that photo on Facebook as she has lots of old family photos or maybe I put it up myself as I think I got it from John Ryan who does the Clonmel Miscellany every Christmas and I think it was an old photo from Carmel Drohan, Irishtown. Carmel probably has a lot of old photos of the Irishtown area.

6 Tim March 20, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I recall meeting Eileen Cantwell way back in the seventies. I was baby sitting for Eleanor and Tom, and met her at their house.

7 Tim March 20, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I saw another pic recently on FB, the brickhouse, Nana Cantwell, and Bobby standing at the gate.

8 Maureen Purcell August 23, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Hi, My Dad was one of the first scouts with all the Drohan’s of Irishtown and his own brothers and I have a photo of him again somewhere among the boxes of photos in his scout uniform at the 1932 Congress in Dublin. I’ll look it up and pass it along to you. I have another scout photo given to us by Miceal Drohan. My brothers Seamus and Brien( Cantwell) were also in the scouts here in the early 60’s. My cousins, Tim, Myles, Brendan and the late Dennis O’ Brien, Wolfe Tone St., were also in the scouts as was Pierce ( my Hubby) for years. I’d say the photo of my Granny Cantwell at the Brickhouse might have been got from either the late Miceal Drohan, Griffith Ave., or from Carmel Drohan Irishtown.

9 admin August 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Hi Maureen, I am involved in scouting in Clonmel and got the photo from our 50 years of scouting in Clonmel.

On another note I am always looking for other old photos of Clonmel.

10 Maureen Purcell August 23, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Hi Celeste and Redmond, I actually have that original photograph somewhere so am interested to know how you also have it Admin? Celeste is my 1st. cousin and lives in Oz. Her mother Eileen was the youngest member of the Cantwell Family and was a very good looking woman up to the time she died in July.May she Rest in Peace. Ellen or Nellie ( Smyth) Cantwell as she was known was my Dad, Jimmy Cantwell’s mother and was a concert singer and all the above info from Celeste and Redmond is quite correct. Tony had left and married Nancy Skehan, Frank and David’s mother and Father by the time the Brick House was demolished. Only Granny Cantwell and Bobby lived there at that point I think and then they moved to Connolly Park . Bobby had married Cissie O’ Keeffe, Kitty’s(of the Crescent)sister, Frank O’ Keeffee’s aunt. I’d love to get some more info on the Brick House and especially on my Grandad Harry Cantwell who ran a Grocery and Public House there for many years there and Maureen Stevens( Dublin) Jimmy’s other sister who was a concert singer. I don’t remember him at all but all of us, the older members of my family remember the long room and counter which had been the Grocery and Pub but which was quite empty of foods or drink! Any info and photos Please?

11 Celestine Duffy July 10, 2012 at 9:57 am

That is my grandmother Ellen “Nellie” Cantwell and indeed the black and tans did shoot some bullets in there!!
They actually occupied the house at one stage. My mother Eileen Duffy (nee Cantwell) was the last of the six Cantwell children and very sadly she passed away last week 04-07-2012

12 T February 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm

And according to one of my aunts it was full of bullet holes..The black and tans firing at it from the mountains.

13 admin February 18, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hi Redmond, you are correct, that is Mrs Cantwell standing at the door.

The “Brick House” was the first meeting place of the 1st Tipperary Scout Group back in 1929. To the best of my knowledge, Connolly Park was not even built and the only road was up by St Stephens graveyard which is at the back of Connolly Park

14 Redmond Burke February 18, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I am nearly sure it is the Brick House which was at the top of Irishtown, opposite the entrance gate to Chappies. When it was demolished in the late fifties, a flower bed was placed there. The last people to live there (if I am correct) were Tony and Bobby Cantwell and their mother (nee Smith). If I am correct, I have a little bit more info on it! Contact me at redburke1@eircom.net.
I may be completely wrong. The Brick House was still there in the mid-50s and Tony and Bobby Cantwell moved when it was demolished. There was a lot of history attached to the Brick House.