Street Names Old & New of Clonmel

MyClonmel >>> Street Names Old & New of Clonmel

 

A listing of Clonmel Town Centre streets, and their previous names.

CURRENT NAME

PREVIOUS NAME(S)

O’Neill Street New Street (1843)
Mary Street
Our Ladye Streete (c. 1603-41)
Church Lane (1700’s
O’Connell Street

  • Named for Daniel O’Connell, the “Emancipator”.
Main Street (1843)
High Street
Wolfe Tone Street

  • Named for Wolfe Tone, patriot
Gordon Street (1843
Sarsfield Street

  • Named for Patrick Sarsfield, a general in the army which fought William of Orange.
Boate StreetDuncan Street (1843) to commemorate the victory over the Dutch fleet of Admiral Duncan, Lord Camperdown
Queen St Dispensary Street (1843)
Gladstone Street

  • Named for William Gladstone, in 1886, British Prime Minister, who did much to relieve the plight of Irish tenants.
Lough StreetBreech Street (the top end where the Cromwellian breach of the walls happened).

Jail Street (The jail was opposite Peter & Paul’s Church).

Johnson Street named in 1798 (to 1886), in compliment to Sir Henry Johnson, Colonel of the 5th Foot, who ‘defeated the insurgents at Ross’.

Market Street Moreton Street
Martyr Lane
Fruitmarket (1843)
Meeting House Lane
Mitchel Street Dublin Street (1843)
Sheelane Street
Hawke Street, after British admiral, Edward Hawke
Parnell Street

  • Named for Charles Stewart Parnell, in 1886,
    the “uncrowned King of Ireland”.
    Previously,
    the local landlords (Bagwells) had it named
    after themselves.
Bagwell Street (1843-1886)
Jervis Place
Named after an admiral, not so much for his military prowess, as for his support for Catholic Emancipation.
Emmet Street

  • Named for Robert Emmet, patriot.
Gaol Street (1843)
Emmet Street (top part) New Jail Street Richmond Street (later Place) on the visit of the duke of that name to the town in 1808
Kickham Street (oldest part)

  • Named after Charles Kickham
Penitentiary Street (1843)
Kickham Street ( along by both schools)

  • Named after Charles Kickham
Blind Street (1843)
Kickham Street (cinema – Gladstone St)

  • Named after Charles Kickham
Charles Street (1843)
Albert Street (O’Neill Street – St Marys Place) Borheens (1843)
Albert Street (St. Mary’s Place – Cantwell Street) Caher Street (1843)
Dillon Street/Thomas Street Barrack Street (1843)
Stephen Street
College Avenue Duckett Street (1843) & later, lower part was
renamed Rivers St
Dr. Croke Place

  • Named after Dr. Croke, who founded the GAA. Previously named after Prince Edward, heir to the throne of England. It was proposed to rename it ‘Pearse Place’, in 1922, after the Civil War.
Wellington Street (part of, in 1843) Regent’s TerracePrince Edward’s Place
Waterford Road (road to Gashouse Bridge) Northumberland Street (1843)
Abbey Street Warren Street (1843)
“Dry” Bridge at Old Bridge Goaten Bridge (1843) – the island was then known as Goat Island
Wellington Street Named after the Duke of Wellington, supposedly for his support for Catholic
Emancipation rather than his military prowess.
Grattan Place

  • Named for Henry Grattan
Had been part of New Street, in 1843. Also named Coronation Row.
Nelson Street

  • Named after Lord Nelson, victor at Trafalgar.
    For a
    while, streets in Clonmel were named
    after
    victorious British naval commanders.
no previous name
Anglesea Street Banfield’s Buildings
Named Anglesea Street for the Battle of Anglesey
Davis Row/Road/Avenue Named for Thomas Davis
Morton Street In 1795, the firm of Thomas and
Samuel Morton
began the erectionof a brewery and stores in Morton Street (long known as Brewery Lane) on a scal e equal to the Cork and Dublin breweries.
Bolton Street

  • Named after Duke of Bolton
Weavers Row. Weavers had been brought in from England, and had a thriving business in Clonmel.
Catherine Street
William Street
Peter Street Blind Street, because it led to the west wall of the
town, but had no exit to the outside.
Emmet Street New Jail Street
Richmond Street (after a visit by Duke of Richmond, in 1808).
Duckett Street Named after William Duckett, solicitor, in 1813. He built the street.
Rivers Street After Patrick Rivers, who had owned the land on which the street was built.
Colville Road After William Colville, a Corn Merchant, originally from Dublin.
Staunton Row Always part of Upper Gladstone Street, even though named after Thomas Staunton. The street dates from around 1820.
Share

Leave a Comment